Rooney in US booze rant

Eng­land star ar­rested by air­port au­thor­i­ties


WAYNE Rooney, pic­tured, was ar­rested for a drink-fuelled tirade at a US air­port, it emerged last night.

The for­mer Eng­land star, 33, who now plays his foot­ball in Amer­ica, was thought to be trav­el­ling back to Eng­land for Christ­mas with his fam­ily.

Af­ter be­ing held by po­lice at the air­port in Washington DC, he was taken to a sher­iff’s jail.

A mugshot of him in a baggy red top was re­leased by po­lice, but Rooney es­caped the “mis­de­meanour” charge with a $25 (R348) fine and $91 in costs.

With his re­ported £4.7 mil­lion-a-year earn­ings from Ma­jor League Soc­cer club DC United, the fine will take Rooney two min­utes and 12 sec­onds to earn back.

The in­ci­dent is thought to have oc­curred at Dulles Air­port on De­cem­ber 16, af­ter the for­mer Manch­ester United player re­turned from Saudi Ara­bia af­ter at­tend­ing the Riyadh For­mula E Grand Prix.

Three days later Rooney retweeted a pic­ture his wife Coleen, 32, had posted, say­ing he was “back home” in Cheshire to cel­e­brate Christ­mas with their four sons.

Nei­ther have re­ferred to the air­port in­ci­dent on their so­cial me­dia feeds and, on De­cem­ber 22 Rooney ap­peared in a re­laxed mood as he ap­peared as a pun­dit on BT Sport for a Manch­ester United game.

The ar­rest is un­likely to pre­vent Rooney play­ing for DC United when the US sea­son starts in March, af­ter the win­ter break.

But it will be em­bar­rass­ing for the team he joined last sum­mer on a £46 mil­lion con­tract.

It also means he is more likely to be pulled aside for ex­tra ques­tion­ing when he next tries to en­ter the US.

He took his fam­ily with him when he made the move.

A spokesper­son for DC United said: “We are aware of news re­ports in­di­cat­ing that Wayne Rooney was ar­rested in De­cem­ber.

“We be­lieve this is a pri­vate mat­ter for Wayne that DC United will han­dle in­ter­nally. We have no fur­ther com­ment.”

A spokesper­son for the Loudoun County Sher­iff’s Of­fice said he had been booked into an adult de­ten­tion cen­tre on De­cem­ber 16 “on a charge of pub­lic in­tox­i­ca­tion stem­ming from an ar­rest by the Metropoli­tan Washington Air­ports Au­thor­ity Po­lice”.

They added that he was re­leased on a “per­sonal recog­ni­sance bond”, which re­quires a sus­pect to sign a promise to turn up to court if re­quired, and not get into any fur­ther trou­ble.

A court hear­ing due to take place on Jan­uary 24 has been waived af­ter the fine was paid and it is be­lieved Rooney will not face any fur­ther ac­tion.

Rooney spent 13 years at Old Traf­ford. He be­came one of the MLS’s high­est-paid play­ers when he signed a three-and-a-half year con­tract with DC United last sum­mer af­ter leav­ing Ever­ton, where he had started his ca­reer.

In 2017 Rooney was given a two-year driv­ing ban af­ter be­ing stopped at three times the limit at the wheel of a VW Bee­tle be­long­ing to a girl he had met on a night out in Ch­ester.

Last night Rooney’s spokesper­son said he was ar­rested af­ter he was left “dis­ori­en­tated” by pre­scrip­tion sleep­ing tablets he had taken on a flight from Saudi Ara­bia while drink­ing.

He added: “Dur­ing the flight Wayne took a pre­scribed amount of sleep­ing tablets mixed with some al­co­hol con­sump­tion and con­se­quently was dis­ori­en­tated on his ar­rival. He was ap­proached by po­lice who ar­rested him on a mi­nor mis­de­meanour charge. He re­ceived a statu­tory au­to­matic fine and was re­leased shortly after­wards at the air­port.

“The mat­ter is now at an end. There will be be no fur­ther com­ment.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.