Try­ing to beat the heat kills man, 72

Pretoria News - - METRO -

A PEN­SIONER who de­cided to use a can­dle at bed­time be­cause he be­lieved the elec­tric light bulb made his bed­room hot­ter, ended up suf­fo­cat­ing to death. The cur­rent heat­wave has caused peo­ple to try dif­fer­ent meth­ods to cool down.

On Wed­nes­day night, for the third time in a row, the 72-year-old went to bed and left a can­dle burn­ing. Yes­ter­day morn­ing he was found dead.

Oupa Motl­ha­bane, speak­ing on be­half of the fam­ily, said it is be­lieved that the old man’s mat­tress caught fire, with the smoke and fumes caus­ing the pen­sioner to suf­fo­cate in his sleep. He was found ly­ing dead in bed with burns. Benny Motl­ha­bane, a rel­a­tive and a neigh­bour, says he saw smoke around 5am and alerted po­lice but it was too late.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.