Push to help un­placed pupils

Pretoria News - - FRONT PAGE - Them­be­lihle Mkhonza

THE Gaut­eng Depart­ment of Ed­u­ca­tion said yes­ter­day it was work­ing with schools in high-pres­sure zones to in­crease their class­room ca­pac­ity in a bid to ac­com­mo­date thou­sands of un­placed learn­ers in the next fort­night.

Depart­ment spokesper­son Steve Mabona said they had iden­ti­fied some schools in af­fected ar­eas which would be as­sisted with the pro­vi­sion of mo­bile class­rooms.

“We will also part­ner with in­de­pen­dent schools to ac­com­mo­date ex­cess learn­ers from our public schools ac­cord­ingly, in con­sul­ta­tion with re­spec­tive par­ents,” said Mabona.

The depart­ment said so far it had placed 267 611 (94.63%) of ap­pli­cants, which re­flects an in­crease of 3 859 place­ments. The re­main­ing 14 617 ap­pli­cants were still to re­ceive place­ment of­fers and must be placed by the Novem­ber 30 dead­line.

Dur­ing the on­line ad­mis­sions ap­pli­ca­tion pe­riod, which started on May 20 and ran to July 22, the depart­ment re­ceived 310 350 ap­pli­ca­tions.

Of these, 27 563 ap­pli­cants had not sub­mit­ted the re­quired doc­u­ments, while 282 787 ap­pli­cants had sub­mit­ted the doc­u­ments.

“We are un­doubt­edly work­ing dili­gently, en­sur­ing that schools in­crease their class­room ca­pac­ity to ac­com­mo­date ad­di­tional un­placed learn­ers by Novem­ber 30.

“Par­ents are urged to ac­cept of­fers given or im­me­di­ately ob­ject if not suit­able, so that those re­jected of­fers can be given to other ap­pli­cants,” said MEC Panyaza Le­sufi. |

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.