CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL
‘Chicken soup for the soul’ says it all. This is basically a repeat of my stockmaking process, but you’re doubling up on the nutrients and flavour. You could add anything else you like to this – chilli, bacon, cream or mushrooms would all be great. 400g boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced 1 stick celery, cut into bite-sized chunks 3 large leeks, sliced into thick discs 1 massive carrot cut in half lengthways, and then into 1cm-thick pieces 1½ litres chicken stock 1 bay leaf 1 small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped Juice of 1 lemon Salt and black pepper
1. Place everything apart from the seasoning, parsley and lemon juice into a medium-sized pot.
2. Pump the heat up until it hits a rolling boil, then drop it down to a gentle simmer.
3. Leave it like that for about an hour, topping up with water if it reduces too much (only top it up to the level at which you started, otherwise you’ll dilute it).
4. By this point the chicken should be tender and the vegetables should be soft.
5. Add the parsley and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.