Jack Russell gets hot under the collar
SEEKING shelter from loud fireworks during Diwali celebrations on Wednesday evening, Jessy, a one-year-old Jack Russell terrier cross, squeezed herself into the engine compartment of her owner’s car.
The traumatised dog crawled into the engine of her owner’s vehicle, which was parked at her home in Malvern, Durban.
She remained trapped while her owner drove from their home in Malvern to Reservoir Hills, where her cries drew the attention of her owner, and she was finally rescued by Kloof and Highway SPCA receiving a phone call from Jessy’s distressed owner.
The pet owner, who asked not to be named, said she was on her way to campus in Westville at about 7pm when she heard a noise coming from her engine.
“I had no idea Jessy was in the car. I thought she was at home, sleeping. I began hearing sounds, and I thought maybe I drove over an animal on the road. On my way to campus, I stopped at my friend’s house in Reservoir Hills to fetch her, and I heard a proper bark, and I knew there was a dog inside my car.
“That’s when I opened the bonnet, and I saw Jessy. She gapped her way in from underneath the car and was trapped in the engine.”
She said she was extremely shocked and frantic to find her dog trapped there.
According to her, Jessy was covered in oil on all four legs, there were a few scratches on her hind paws, and she also suffered a burn mark at her rear end.
“She looked quite scared, and her eyes looked pretty bad as well,” she said.
Kloof and Highway SPCA trainee Inspector, Israel Silevu, was on duty when he received a call from the frantic owner asking for help requesting assistance with her one-year-old pup.
The rescue operation took almost two hours because Silevu had to ensure that Jessy was freed with as little distress as possible.
Silevu asked that the dog be taken to a veterinarian for a full examination.
According to Jessy’s owner, she is recovering from her traumatic experience.
“She was in the vet for a while, but they let her out now. She’s still not a hundred percent better.
“She’s not as hyper as she normally is, so I wouldn’t say she’s back to her old self.”
Brigitte Rossouw, of Kloof and Highway SPCA, advises pet owners to stay home with their animals and keep them inside on nights when fireworks are being set off.
“We also urge owners to microchip their pets, or provide them with some form of identification around their collar. If owners are aware that their pets are scared of loud noises and fireworks, get them calming medication from a nearby vet.
“Lastly, owners should find ways to entertain their pets. Play music, give them a toy or stay with them indoors,” she said.