Get the season off to a good start with this fresh menu
Fresh spring recipes
BABY SPINACH AND GRILLED AVOCADO SALAD WITH MINT VINAIGRETTE
FOR THE MINT VINAIGRETTE
1 clove garlic, crushed
15ml fresh mint
30ml mixed fresh herbs
5ml Dijon mustard
30ml white wine vinegar
45ml olive oil or avocado oil salt and milled black pepper, to taste
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
FOR THE BABY SPINACH AND GRILLED AVOCADO SALAD
45ml olive oil or avocado oil 3 avocados, peeled and cut into lengthwise wedges salt and milled black pepper, to taste
1 packet baby spinach leaves 125g strawberries, hulled and halved
60ml pomegranate rubies 5 radishes, thinly sliced
30ml fresh mint, torn 1. Make the vinaigrette just before you’re ready to serve. Grind the garlic using a pestle and mortar, or blender. Blend in the mint, herbs, mustard, vinegar and honey.
2. Gradually add the oil a little at a time, mixing well after each addition, until all of the oil has been incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the onion and set aside.
3. Preheat a griddle pan or braai, until hot.
4. To make the salad, brush the oil over the avocado wedges and season with salt
and pepper. Sear the avocado wedges for 2–3 minutes per side.
5. While the avocado is grilling, toss the remaining ingredients in the vinaigrette and arrange on a serving platter. Top with the warm avocado and serve at once.
SALMON AND SUSHI POKE BOWLS
600g sushi rice
45ml rice wine vinegar*
15ml castor sugar
4 x 150g salmon fillets
45ml black*and white sesame seeds, toasted salt and milled black pepper, to taste
1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
100g edamame beans, cooked**
45ml pickled ginger*
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced at an angle
1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
½ small purple cabbage, finely shredded 80ml creamy mayonnaise lime wedges 1. Prepare the sushi rice according to the package instructions.
2. While the rice is still warm, stir in the rice wine vinegar, castor sugar and salt and allow to cool to room temperature. Preheat a pan or braai.
3. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Grill for 3–5 minutes per side depending on the thickness, until they’re seared on the outside, but soft and pink on the inside.
4. Divide the sushi rice among 4 serving bowls and top each with a grilled salmon fillet.
5. Add the remaining ingredients, placing them in colour-blocked groups.
6. Serve at once with the mayonnaise and lime wedges. COOK’S NOTE* Rice wine vinegar, pickled ginger and black sesame seeds are available at Asian food stores or in large supermarkets. **Sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise make a crisp, green alternative to edamame beans.
Visit gardenandhome.co.za and go to Recipes to download the shopping list for this menuLIKE A SHOPPING LIST?