Tasty summer recipes
ice few mint leaves
750ml dry rosé wine
60–75ml rose cordial
125g strawberries or mixed berries
1. Half fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add a few mint leaves and 125ml rosé wine. Close the shaker and shake well.
2. Place 10–15ml of rose cordial in the base of a cocktail or wine glass, add a few berries and strain some of the wine mixture over the top. Repeat the process with each glass, using up the remaining wine mixture.
LAMB CUTLETS WITH POMEGRANATE AND ROSE COUSCOUS
FOR THE LAMB CUTLETS
60ml olive oil
3 cloves roasted garlic*, mashed with a fork juice and zest of 1 orange,
5ml smoked paprika
8–12 lamb cutlets, trimmed
30ml mint leaves, chopped salt and milled black pepper, to taste
FOR THE POMEGRANATE AND ROSE COUSCOUS
250g wholewheat couscous
10–15ml harissa paste
300ml chicken or vegetable stock, boiling hot
45ml olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves roasted garlic*, mashed with a fork
80ml pomegranate rubies
30ml dried rose petals, crumbled (optional) 15ml rosewater
15ml balsamic vinegar salt and milled black pepper, to taste
To make the lamb cutlets, mix the olive 1 oil, roasted garlic, orange juice and zest and smoked paprika together in a nonmetallic container.
2. Add the lamb cutlets and coat well. Place the lamb in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinate.
3. To make the couscous, place it in a heatproof bowl with the harissa paste and sultanas. Pour the hot stock over the top, cover with a lid or plastic wrap and allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5–7 minutes. Add the roasted garlic and cook for one more minute.
5. Fluff up the couscous, using a fork, and add the onion mixture and the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
6. When ready to cook, bring the chops to room temperature and cook on a hot grill or braai.
7. Transfer to a serving plate and scatter the dukkah and mint over the top. Season with salt and milled black pepper.
8. Serve with the couscous, which can be warm or at room temperature.
COOK’S NOTE *Wrap a whole garlic bulb in foil and bake in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes or until the garlic has browned and softened.
STRAWBERRY AND ROSE, PINK PEPPERCORN ICE CREAM
350g fresh or frozen strawberries 5ml pink peppercorns, crushed
1 x 385g tin condensed milk
100g rose-flavoured Turkish Delight 500ml ready-made fresh custard 375ml fresh cream, whipped
Turkish Delight, cut into small blocks
1. Place the strawberries in a small pan with the crushed pink peppercorns and 100g of the condensed milk.
2. Cook over a moderate heat for
7–10 minutes, or until the strawberries have softened. Allow to cool.
3. Purée the mixture in a food processor with the Turkish delight.
4. Place the mixture in a mixing bowl and fold in the remaining condensed milk, custard and whipped cream.
5. Transfer the mixture to a freezer container, cover and freeze for 2 hours. For a silkier texture, remove the mixture from the freezer halfway, and using a fork, break up all the ice crystals and return it to the freezer until frozen.
6. Move the ice cream to the fridge for 10–15 minutes before serving.
7. Serve by itself or in cones, with blocks of Turkish Delight and strawberries.