GREEN SALAD WITH FENNEL AND ORANGE DRESSING
200g lettuce (iceberg, cos or butter, or a combination) 1 cucumber, sliced
1 fennel bulb, sliced 2 oranges, peeled and sliced handful rocket, watercress and baby spinach handful walnuts
FOR THE DRESSING
80ml balsamic or other vinegar salt and white pepper, to taste 5ml Dijon mustard (optional) 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional) pinch sugar (optional)
250ml olive oil
1. Wash the greens carefully. Place in a sink of cold water
and swirl around gently to loosen any dirt.
2. Spin the lettuce in a salad spinner or dry in a tea towel or colander.
3. To make the dressing, mix together the vinegar, salt and pepper, mustard, garlic and sugar with a wire whisk. In a slow, steady stream, add the oil, whisking all the time.
4. Store in a sealed container (a jam jar works well) in the fridge and shake well before pouring over the salad.
5. To serve, tear the bigger lettuce leaves into pieces (never cut lettuce).
6. Toss in the cucumber and arrange the fennel, walnuts and orange slices and any other leaves you’re using attractively on a platter.
Just before serving, pour over the salad dressing and toss lightly.
COOK’S NOTE If the salad greens need to be stored before eating, place them in a covered bowl in the fridge. They can be kept like this for up to three days.