VEGETABLE AND RICOTTA FREE-FORM TART
1 sheet ready-made puff pastry, defrosted 1 egg, lightly beaten
FOR THE FILLING
250g ricotta cheese
45g Parmesan cheese
45ml fresh herbs, finely chopped 30ml basil pesto salt and milled black pepper, to taste
FOR THE TOPPING
1 corn cob, parboiled
150g cherry tomatoes
15ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling salt and milled black pepper, to taste 1 small fennel bulb, shaved
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into ribbons 2 medium baby marrows, sliced into ribbons
few fresh herbs or micro leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Roll out the pastry and, using a dinner plate as a template, cut out a large circle and transfer it to the baking sheet. Brush some of the beaten egg around a 1cm rim on the edge of the pastry.
3. Slice the pastry off-cuts into 1cm strips and place along the top edge of the pastry to form a raised rim; brush the edge with the remaining beaten egg.
4. Prick the centre of the pastry case with a fork and bake in a hot oven for 18–25 minutes, or until cooked and well risen.
5. Place the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine. Set aside.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to
180°C and place the corn cob and tomatoes on an oven tray.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
8. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut the corn from the cob.
9. Spoon the reserved filling into the baked pastry case and heat in the oven for 8–10 minutes.
10. Arrange the corn, tomatoes, fennel and baby marrow and carrot ribbons over the tart. Top with herbs or micro leaves, an additional drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Serve with the leftover filling on the side.
COOK’S NOTE Double up the ingredients and make a large tart to feed a crowd.