CHICKPEA FLATBREAD WITH CHORIZO, SPINACH, CHERRY TOMATOES AND BLUE CHEESE
1 punnet cherry tomatoes
1T balsamic vinegar
2½ cups chickpea flour
7T olive oil
2T Parmesan cheese (optional)
½t freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups water
4 small chorizo sausages
(or 1 large)
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 packet blue cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. 2. Put the cherry tomatoes in a small roasting pan, pour over the balsamic vinegar and roast and set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk the chickpea flour together with the salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil, the Parmesan cheese, if using, and a generous amount of ground black pepper.
4. Whisk in 1¾ cups of water until well mixed. Set aside for about a half hour for the flour to absorb some of the water.
5. Remove the casings from the sausages and roughly chop the meat.
6. Cook in a skillet until well browned then place the meat on a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
7. Place the remaining olive oil in a large pizza pan and heat in the preheated oven until very hot.
8. Stir more water into the batter if necessary, so it’s just thin enough to pour. Carefully remove the hot pizza pan from the oven and pour in the batter. It should make a thin layer (about 3cm). Bake until it’s golden and crispy (about 8–10 minutes).
9. Remove from the oven and top with baby spinach, roasted cherry tomatoes, cooked sausage meat and crumbled blue cheese. Return to the oven for a few minutes until the blue cheese starts to melt and the spinach is just wilting.
10. Cut into pieces and serve.
COOK’S NOTE You can use a smaller pan to make a thicker f latbread, which will need a slightly longer baking time.