PacMan not looking beyond title defence
Legend rules out farcical exhibitions
Los Angeles – Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino multiple world champion who turned 40 last month, said that while he is focused on his title defence against Adrien Broner, he has considered life beyond the ring.
The WBA “regular” welterweight champion knows he will have his hands full when he battles the hard-hitting Broner in Las Vegas on January 19 and is not lining up fighters down the road.
“At the age of 40, it’s hard to think about future fights. Just one at a time.”
He dismissed concerns that he has lost the knockout power that made the “PacMan” the sport’s only eight-division world champion and among the best pound-for-pound fighters of all time.
After a knockout drought, Pacquiao had a return to form in July when he stunned defending champion Lucas Matthysse with a seventhround knockout in Kuala Lumpur to claim the title.
“I still have it,” said the softspoken Pacquiao.
One place you won’t find Pacquiao is in exhibition matches like the one his former rival Floyd Mayweather fought last month against Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa.
Mayweather dropped Nasukawa three times before the contest was waved off in the first two minutes of round one. Nasukawa, only 20 years old, had no experience as a boxer.
“I won’t do that. If I’m Floyd I wouldn’t do that,” he said. “Exhibition match where you just knock him out. That’s not good for the fans.” – Reuters
Manny Pacquiao is gearing up for a tough battle against Adrien Broner in Las Vegas.