● De Lille breaks away from the PAC to form the Independent Democrats. The party wins seats in national, provincial and municipal elections.
● The Independent Democrats merge with the DA. De Lille joins the Western Cape executive led by premier Helen Zille.
● De Lille elected executive mayor of Cape Town.
● De Lille elected Western Cape DA leader.
● De Lille resigns as Western Cape DA leader, apparently to focus on her role as mayor.
● Allegations emerge against De Lille of corruption, maladministration and poor governance.
January 14 2018
● The DA decides to pursue charges of alleged misconduct against De Lille.
● De Lille survives a vote of no confidence in the city council by a single vote.
● De Lille loses a vote of no confidence in the DA caucus in Cape Town.
● De Lille makes submissions to the federal executive about why she should not quit and requests that five leaders, including Mmusi Maimane, be recused from the process.
● The DA’s federal executive announced after meeting yesterday they have “suspended discussions pending legal advice” on the De Lille case after getting legal papers from her, but they expect to resume this deliberation soon. If they uphold the motion of no confidence, De Lille will be told to resign within 48 hours or her membership will be terminated.