1. How many centimetres are there in a metre?
2. What is the first name of Michael Douglas’s father (he’s turning 102 on December 9)?
3. What is the currency of Botswana?
4. Which country made the first manned space flight?
5. Which ruler was stabbed to death in 44BC in Rome?
6. He was the “Breakthrough DJ of The Year” at the DJ Awards in Ibiza in 2015 and played at Coachella in 2016. He’s arguably SA’s most outstanding electronic music producer — this all despite a paralysed left arm. Who is he?
7. The 1986 concerts “Live Aid” raised money for famine in which country?
8. What “D” is the unit of measurement of sound intensity (specifically unit of sound pressure level)?
9. What “S” is an internet term, originating from a Monty Python sketch, that refers to unsolicited email?
10. In which of the following cities is there NOT a Guggenheim museum? A) New York, B) Venice, C) Bilbao, D) London
11. What is the nationality of designer Jimmy Choo? A) Chinese, B) Malaysian, C) Japanese, D) Italian 12. Which actor has been married to Madonna and Robin Wright?
13. In which country would you find the tourist region known as the Algarve?
14. The airline Etihad is from which country? A) UAE, B) Qatar, C) Malaysia, D) Oman
15. What fruit is also known as the Chinese gooseberry? A) Grapefruit, B) Kiwi fruit, C) Persimmon, D) Apricot 16. In what language might a person greet you (in the morning) with, “Kalimera!”
17. With which playwright would you associate the plays “Oedipus Rex” and “Atigone”? A) Euripides, B) Aristophanes, C) Telecleides, D) Sophocles
18. Which famous South African author lived at 9 Cross Street in Cradock?
19. He’s won more Grand Tours than anyone else (11) and more Grand Tour stages (64); what nationality was cyclist Eddy Merckx? A) Australian, B) Belgian, C) Irish, D) Maltese
20. What is the maximum number of rounds in a modern professional boxing match (since the 1980s)? A) Eight, B) Ten, C) Twelve, D) Fifteen
Answers on this page