Make the most of an internship
● An internship can be a great way to get started in a career, especially in South Africa, where unemployment is so high.
“An internship is a chance to get to grips with the demands of work, and if you approach it correctly, you will add valuable experience to your CV and could make an impression and be considered for a fulltime position,” says Elbie Liebenberg, the principal of Oxbridge Academy. She has the following advice:
● Professionalism is a must. “This means you need to dress neatly and appropriately, always be punctual and be willing to learn, even if those tasks seem boring or mundane,” she says;
● Prepare yourself before you begin so you know the kinds of things that need to be done, then volunteer for things rather than wait for someone to give you orders;
● Find a mentor and extend your network. “An internship allows you to build professional relationships with people in your field and your contacts could alert you to opportunities,” says Liebenberg;
● Not being able to do something is not a sign of failure, but not asking for help is; and
● Take comprehensive notes outlining what you have learnt and the skills you have mastered.