This week’s theme is “islands”.
1. What is the name of the cricket test team comprised of multiple (mostly) island nations of the Caribbean?
2. Mount Etna, the Mafia, sonnets and Operation Husky are all associated with which island?
3. Which pirate character has been portrayed by Robert Newton (1950), Orson Welles (1972) and Jack Palance (1999) in film adaptations of Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island”?
4. Jerk chicken originates from which island nation? A) Mauritius, B) Papua New Guinea, C) Jamaica, D) Corsica
5. A drink comprising gin, tequila, rum, vodka, triple sec and cola is known as a “Long Island …” what?
6. What “I” is an English word, taken from the Latin for island, that refers to a person or thing that is cut off from its surroundings?
7. Which of these novels was not set predominately on an island? A) “Lord of the Flies”, B) “Papillon”, C) “Robinson Crusoe”, D) “Gone with the Wind”
8. Which two country singers had a number one duet with “Islands in the Stream”?
9. Which Caribbean island was the birth place of Bob Marley?
10. Which TV game show hosted by Jeff Probst in the US and Nico Panagiotopoulos in SA features teams of contestants marooned on a remote island who compete for rewards and immunity from being voted off?
11. On which of the following islands did French impressionist Gaugin spend a large part of the last decade of his life? A) Tahiti, B) Fiji, C) New Caledonia, D) Guam
12. Who directed the 2010 film “Shutter Island”? A) Aaron Sorkin, B) Michael Mann, C) Kathryn Bigelow, D) Martin Scorsese
13. The country of Brunei situated on the island of Borneo, only borders one country. Which one? A) Malaysia, B) Papua New Guinea, C) Indonesia, D) Philippines 14. What is the current name of the island originally known as Van Diemen’s Land?
15. Through which island did immigrants to America have to pass en route to New York (from 1892 to 1954)?
16. Name the island where Napoleon Bonaparte was born.
17. Who wrote the sci-fi novel “The Island of Dr Moreau”? A) Lauren Beukes, B) HG Wells, C) Arthur C Clarke, D) DH Lawrence
18. A partial core meltdown of which US nuclear power plant in 1979 is the worst nuclear power accident in US history?
19. The islets of Langerhans are found in which organ? A) Pancreas, B) Brain, C) Lungs, D) Small intestine
20. On which island would you find the Snaefeld Mountain Course — the oldest motor-racing course in the world? Answers on this page