Sunday Times

Jus­tice done as City lift tro­phy

- By MARK GLEE­SON at Moses Mab­hida Sta­dium Sports · Soccer · ABSA Premiership · Football South Africa · Cape Town · Evans Rusike · Benni McCarthy · Cape Town City F.C. · SuperSport United F.C. · Clayton Daniels · Siphelele Mthembu · Ronwen Williams · Ayanda Patosi · Fagrie Lakay · Riyaad Norodien

Cape Town City 0

Su­perS­port United 0

GOALS: Cape Town City won 4-1 on penal­ties af­ter ex­tra time

● For a sec­ond suc­ces­sive year penal­ties set­tled the MTN8, but this time Cape Town City won yes­ter­day’s fi­nal.

Giant goal­keeper Peter Leeuwen­burgh made two saves in the shootout as Thabo No­dada con­verted the win­ning kick.

City dom­i­nated a limp Su­perS­port but could not fin­ish the game in two hours of leg-sap­ping ac­tion.

They twice hit the wood­work and should have won com­fort­ably in 90 min­utes.

The game started well with a busy first half but a pedes­trian sec­ond half as cau­tion seemed to be the watch­word, par­tic­u­larly from an unin­spired-look­ing Su­perS­port, who ap­proached the game with more cir­cum­spec­tion than their op­po­nents.

City were pre­pared to run and take the ball down the flanks but fluffed their lines at the cru­cial mo­ments.

They might have been awarded a penalty af­ter 21 min­utes when Su­perS­port cen­tre­back Clay­ton Daniels looked to have han­dled the ball as he slid in to try and block Tham­sanqa Mkhize’s cross, but ref­eree Eket­sang Set­loboko did not look like he was go­ing to make that big a call on such a stage.

Thabo No­dada hit the bot­tom of the post with a dip­ping shot just past the half hour mark and the re­bound got stuck in Siphelele Mthembu’s feet when a quicker think­ing striker would have snapped up the chance with goal­keeper Ron­wen Wil­liams still scram­bling to get into place.

A minute later Roland Putsche ghosted late into the Su­perS­port box to meet Ed­mil­son’s qual­ity cross from left but put his headed ef­fort wide. And two min­utes af­ter that Ayanda Patosi should have con­verted from close range but went wide af­ter a break­away one-two with Gift Links.

Soon af­ter the break Links pro­vided an­other coun­ter­at­tack cross that hung for Craig Martin to head to­wards goal but it went over the cross­bar.

Ed­mil­son was fed by Patosi for an­other City chance in the 56th minute with the Mozam­bi­can full­back cut­ting in­side and hit­ting his shot with his weaker right foot, forc­ing Wil­liams into a good save.

The game had gone quiet by the time City con­jured up their best chance in the 86th minute, with Links swing­ing his foot across a bob­bling cross from Ed­mil­son, the shot from the teenager strik­ing the cross­bar.

Near the end of ex­tra time, Riyaad Noro­dien’s dip­ping free kick also came close for City, though by then they looked re­signed to the fact the game was headed to penal­ties.

At the other end, and early on in the game, Fa­grie Lakay twice caught the City de­fend­ers for pace and could have set up two first-half op­por­tu­ni­ties.

Su­perS­port also did test City goal­keeper Peter Leeuwen­burgh when Putsche cleared straight at Evans Rusike, who took the ball off his ch­est, ad­vanced a few me­tres and then shot at goal, forc­ing the tall goal­keeper into a div­ing save.

Lakay had to go off be­fore the break with a ham­string in­jury and with him went a lot of Su­perS­port’s at­tack­ing ini­tia­tive as they made lit­tle con­tri­bu­tion to the game through two hours of ac­tion.

It was a first ti­tle for Benni Mc­Carthy as a coach and a sec­ond in three years for the fran­chise from the Mother City.

 ??  ??
 ??  ?? The man­ager and the heroBenni Mc­Carthy, left, won his first tro­phy as a coach, thanks to Peter Leeuwen­burgh
The man­ager and the heroBenni Mc­Carthy, left, won his first tro­phy as a coach, thanks to Peter Leeuwen­burgh

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa