Security in place for exams, education MEC says
MEC for Education Senzo Mchunu was confident that the National Senior Certificate exams which begin tomorrow would go off without a glitch despite reports of possible leaks of the exam papers in the province.
Mchunu acknowledged that there were suspicions of leaked papers in Durban and northern KwaZulu and said the police were investigating these allegations.
“The department is working with the police to confirm these suspicions, but we are confident in the interventions made by the department to secure the entire examination process. The department has a Security Services Advisory Directorate which, together with other agencies, has put in place an elaborate security plan to secure the exam process. “
Mchunu said plans had been made, with adequate measures put in place, to circumvent any disasters that might happen.
Responding to claims of leaks, he said back-up examination papers had been set that would be printed and sent to the schools if the allegations proved to be true.
KwaZulu-Natal has 140 089 full-time and 12 400 part-time candidates registered to write the National Senior Certificate exams.
Mchunu said the province had 31 marking centres and that administration staff and assistants would report for duty on December 3.
Chief markers as well as deputy and senior markers would report on December 6 with markers reporting on December 7.
“All marking centres have sufficient marking rooms with locking doors for the security of answer scripts during the night and day. Marking will commence on December 7 and conclude on December 16. The results will be released on January 7, 2010,” Mchunu said.
He said irregularities would be processed during and after the examinations where possible.
“We are anticipating and are hopeful that all students will score well in the exams, not for the department, but for the learners themselves. We hope that they will make the most of every opportunity given to them for their future,” he added.