Sunday World

ANC BIGWIGS NAMED IN UNREST REPORT

• Judge Raymond Zondo’s house was a target • Former radio presenter and KZN mayor also fingered

- By Ngwako Malatji, George Matlala and Sandile Motha

High-ranking members of the ANC’S national executive committee, a former mayor in Kwazulu-natal, a Mpumalanga ANC leader and a former radio presenter are among those named as suspected instigator­s of the violence that swept through Kwazulu-natal and Gauteng.

Sunday World has seen an unrest report circulatin­g among ANC and government leaders that forms part of the South African Police Service (SAPS) investigat­ion into the large-scale looting of malls and burning of factories, during what has been described as the country’s worst unrest which has left over 200 people dead and the destructio­n of property running into billions of rand.

According to the report, a plan was hatched on July 4 in Kwazulunat­al to render the country ungovernab­le as part of a campaign to force the government to free former president Jacob Zuma, who is serving a 15-month jail term at Estcourt Correction­al Centre for contempt of court.

A high-ranking ANC leader is said to have given instructio­ns to his supporters to burn all trucks on the

N2, N3 and other major regional roads “to block all roads leading to the Durban and Richard’s Bay harbour; to loot all shopping malls and warehouses and to use lethal force when fired upon by the armed forces”.

The house of Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, whose legal action led to Zuma’s arrest, was also a target, along with the blocking of all roads leading to Estcourt Correction­al Services facility.

The mobs were also instructed to “bring all economic activity in Kwazulu-natal and Gauteng to a halt” and “agitate the unemployed, street kids, criminals and thugs” to render the country ungovernab­le until the leader becomes president of the country.

The status of the report appears to be under scrutiny. A female cabinet minister has denounced it as the work of informatio­n peddlers while her cabinet counterpar­t said the report was serious enough not to be dismissed.

On Friday, President Cyril Ramaphosa said it was clear that the events of the past week were nothing less than a deliberate, coordinate­d and well-planned attack on the country’s democracy.

“The constituti­onal order of our country is under threat. The current instabilit­y and ongoing incitement of violence constitute­s a direct contravent­ion of the constituti­on and the rule of law. These actions are intended to cripple the economy, cause social instabilit­y and severely weaken – or even dislodge – the democratic state,” he said.

According to preliminar­y reports compiled by the national joint operationa­l and intelligen­ce structure, extensive damage was caused to 161 malls and shopping centres, 11 warehouses, eight factories and 161 liquor outlets and distributo­rs.

Over 2 550 people have been arrested in connection with the unrest, while 212 people died.

Ramaphosa further said that the chaos was used as a smokescree­n to carry out economic sabotage. He conceded that the government had been poorly prepared and did not have the capabiliti­es and plans in place to act swiftly and decisively.

A source in the security cluster said police were targeting elements in the taxi industry and hostel dwellers in their crackdown on those behind the unrest.

Divisions in the country’s security apparatus emanating from the ANC factional battles, lack of timeous intelligen­ce and deployment of law-enforcemen­t agencies were some of the issues blamed on the poor response to the unrest, sources inside government and the ANC said.

Sunday World understand­s that the future of Police Minister Bheki Cele,

Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-nqakula and State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo and bureaucrat­s in the security establishm­ent hang in the balance, with Ramaphosa under pressure from inside and outside the ANC to use a reshuffle to clean up the armed forces.

“The truth is that some of the people in the ANC and in the state are behind this.

“Very soon it will become clear. The president must act on some of the ministers in the security cluster,” said a source close to Ramaphosa.

Another senior SAPS crime intelligen­ce official blamed the failure to deal with the violence effectivel­y on the divisions in the security forces.

“We have a divided government. People opposed to the president have their own agendas,” he said.

Dr Johan Burger, a senior researcher and consultant in the justice and violence programme at the Institute for Security Studies, said the recent spate of looting during which the police were outnumbere­d by the protesters should serve as a wake-up call for the government and the police management not to rest on their laurels.

“Since the serial crises of top management were first identified by the National Planning Commission in 2012, many functions of the SAPS have deteriorat­ed,” he said.

The president conceded that government had been poorly prepared

 ?? / Gallo Imagesstew­art) ?? Looters in Spine Road behind Pavilion Mall in Durban.
/ Gallo Imagesstew­art) Looters in Spine Road behind Pavilion Mall in Durban.
 ?? / GCIS ?? President Cyril Ramaphosa confirms that the looting and violence was coordinate­d.
/ GCIS President Cyril Ramaphosa confirms that the looting and violence was coordinate­d.
 ??  ?? Looters fill truck with furniture in Springfiel­d, Durban.
Looters fill truck with furniture in Springfiel­d, Durban.
 ??  ?? Looters at Chris Hani Mall in Vosloorus.
Looters at Chris Hani Mall in Vosloorus.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa