Two die in shack fire

Talk of the Town - - News - JON HOUZET

TWO peo­ple died in a shack fire in Ne­mato on Wed­nes­day morn­ing, po­lice have con­firmed.

A res­i­dent at the house flagged down a po­lice car in the early hours of the morn­ing and re­ported the fire at C14 Mbund­wini Street.

“It is al­leged that a can­dle was used to make a light in­side the in­for­mal zinc struc­ture and this was how the fire started,” po­lice spokes­woman Cap­tain Mali Goven­der said.

“The owner ap­par­ently woke up and found the res­i­dence burn­ing, and grabbed her two-year-old child and ran out of the res­i­dence. Two oth­ers died in the blaze.”

A post-mortem will be held at Gra­ham­stown Patho­log­i­cal Ser­vices to de­ter­mine the cause of death.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.