Fa­ther com­plains about hospi­tal’s treat­ment

Talk of the Town - - Front Page - TK MTIKI

They told her the hospi­tal was full and they needed a bed for other peo­ple com­ing in

The boyfriend of a preg­nant wo­man hav­ing labour pains has com­plained about the way she was treated at Port Al­fred Hospi­tal – first be­ing dis­charged and then trans­ferred to Port El­iz­a­beth.

Au­gust 11 and 12 was a hard and con­fus­ing week­end for Sinethemba Landu, who was ad­mit­ted to Port Al­fred Hospi­tal on Fri­day Au­gust 10 at 5.30am af­ter ex­pe­ri­enc­ing labour pains.

Ac­cord­ing to Bo­nani Ketiso, the fa­ther of the un­born child at the time, Landu ap­peared ready to give birth.

The fa­ther-to-be said that dur­ing Landu’s ad­mis­sion there was a doc­tor in the hospi­tal, although he was told that doc­tors only work week­days, not on week­ends.

Af­ter fail­ing to de­liver the child on Fri­day yet still in pain, Landu re­mained in hospi­tal un­der the care of nurses the fol­low­ing day.

Ketiso said: “I vis­ited her twice on Satur­day, at 11.30am and 3.30pm, which was vis­it­ing hours. When I ar­rived there, I could see that the sit­u­a­tion was the same.”

It was the morn­ing phone call that he re­ceived from Landu on Sun­day that was con­cern­ing. “When she phoned me she said she was dis­charged and wanted me to bring her clothes.”

Ac­cord­ing to Ketiso’s ob­ser­va­tion, Landu was not al­right and could not even walk prop­erly. Hav­ing been ini­tially told that the doc­tor would only be avail­able on Mon­day and see­ing that his girl­friend was not in a con­di­tion to be dis­charged, Ketiso had many unan­swered ques­tions.

“I asked her why she was dis­charged and she said they told her the hospi­tal was full and they needed a bed for other peo­ple com­ing in,” Ketiso said.

See­ing that Landu could not walk from the hospi­tal to the taxi rank, Ketiso went to the rank to hire a spe­cial car.

“We stayed at home the whole day, but I could see that she was not OK. In the even­ing around 8pm, things be­came worse and I phoned an am­bu­lance to take her back to hospi­tal.”

Landu was re-ad­mit­ted on Sun­day even­ing, which again made her boyfriend ques­tion why she had been dis­charged in the first place.

“Ac­cord­ing to my knowl­edge, a pa­tient can be ob­served and dis­charged only by a doc­tor,” he said.

He felt proper ob­ser­va­tion had not been done.

At about 1am on Mon­day, he re­ceived another call from Landu who said she was be­ing trans­ferred to Port El­iz­a­beth. He walked to the hospi­tal to bring her more clothes.

Dig­ging deeper into the mys­tery of who had dis­charged and trans­ferred Landu over the week­end, the con­cerned fa­ther-to-be ar­ranged a meet­ing on the Mon­day with a Mr Mey­ile, whom he iden­ti­fied as the hospi­tal CEO.

Ac­cord­ing to Ketiso, Mey­ile asked the sis­ter in charge of the ma­ter­nity ward, Fundiswa Mzananda, who had dis­charged the pa­tient.

“The file that Mzananda checked showed that Landu was dis­charged by Dr Galina Filipova, the head of doc­tors.”

He fur­ther es­tab­lished that Landu had been trans­ferred to Port El­iz­a­beth by Dr Rholel­wang. Ketiso said he ap­pre­ci­ated the trans­fer. Landu even­tu­ally gave birth to a boy at Dora Nginza Hospi­tal on Mon­day Au­gust 13. Pro­vin­cial health depart­ment spokesman Lwandile Sicwet­sha did not re­spond to the spe­cific ques­tions TotT asked, rather pro­vid­ing a num­ber for a com­plainant to call.

“We en­cour­age our pa­tients to ex­press their com­plaints or sat­is­fac­tion through our cus­tomer care unit. These calls are pro­cessed and re­ferred to re­spon­si­ble pro­grammes for re­dress. It also helps us to im­prove the qual­ity of our ser­vice. Our cus­tomer care num­ber is 0800-032-364,” Sicwet­sha said.

“It is im­por­tant that peo­ple use this plat­form as they will be able to fol­low up on their com­plaints us­ing the al­lo­cated ref­er­ence num­ber.”

AN­NIVER­SARY SO­CIAL: Sun­set Park res­i­dents re­cently com­mem­o­rated the sixth an­niver­sary of the build­ing of the Bill Hill Lounge with a talk about how it came about. Pic­tured are Bill Hill, left, af­ter whom the lounge is named, and Ce­cil Jones-Phillip­son, the chair­man of the Moths ex-ser­vice­men’s Cot­tages As­so­ci­a­tion. The gath­er­ing was well-sup­ported by most Sun­set Park res­i­dents and was fol­lowed by a fel­low­ship tea

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.