Talk of the Town
Plea for help after family's shack burnt to the ground
Community unable to fight fire due to no water
The Jali family in Ndlovini, in the Donkini area, have been left with nothing after a fire burnt their shack to ashes last Wednesday evening.
Family member Ntomboxolo Jali said they had only been left with the clothes they were wearing.
“I was cooking offal [at 7.30pm] using a gel stove because we do not have electricity at home.
“We were simultaneously watching TV next door [at our neighbour], so a child went outside and saw our shack burning,” she said.
Ntomboxolo said the lack of water made the situation worse.
“At the time we discovered that the shack was burning it was a bit later, but there were people who could have helped.
“They were watching because there was no water to extinguish the fire.
“When the fire emergency services arrived at the scene it was already too late. The shack had already burnt down,” she said.
The sad news reached ward 9 councillor Siyabulela Melani, who made arrangements for the family to quickly receive a temporary structure to live in.
“We communicated with housing manager Olwethu Jobela to find a temporary structure for that family. He managed to get one and it has already been erected,” Melani said.
He said they were waiting for the disaster department to assist the family with some food, and that clothing was being collected for the children. “At the moment we urgently need a school uniform for a grade 2 pupil.
“People are very supportive, we are still receiving clothes from them,” Melani said.
Some of the items received from good Samaritans included school shoes, toys, a sitting cushion, two beds, tables, clothes and nappies for the one-year-old child, he said.
Melani thanked Child Welfare and people from the township for their support.
Anyone able to help in any way can contact Ntomboxolo on 071-760-6498.
❝ I was cooking offal using a gel stove because we do not have electricity