Talk of the Town
Murder accuseds’ bail bid postponed
The bail application of three men accused of the murder of Bathurst resident Samkele Dobo has been postponed for further investigation.
Ryno Blokkies Denston, Melikhaya Ngingo and Matt Van Zyl appeared in the district court in Port Alfred last Thursday.
Denston and Ngingo were represented by Legal Aid attorneys and Van Zyl by East London advocate Henry van Breda.
In a statement issued last week, Eastern Cape police spokesperson, Warrant Officer Majola Nkohli, said it was alleged that the suspects had attacked and fatally stabbed Dobo on the road to Southwell, near Bathurst, at about 5pm on Monday October 24.
Nkohli said: “[Allegedly] Two men travelling in a bakkie stopped a truck travelling [on the Southwell road] and informed him [truck driver] there was a passenger in his truck whom they wanted to kill.
“It is further [alleged] one of the men fired two shots towards a passenger, Dobo, but missed.
“It is alleged that as Dobo was attempting to flee, he was attacked and stabbed.
“He was declared dead at the scene.”
Dobo worked as a car guard in Bathurst.
Van Zyl and Denston were arrested and appeared in the Port Alfred magistrate’s court on October 27.
Ngingo was arrested shortly thereafter.
The three were remanded in custody for their bail application, which has been postponed to Monday, November 14.