The Citizen (Gauteng)
Manhunt on after bomb
Malé – A third man has been arrested following the attempted assassination of Maldives’ former president Mohamed Nasheed, police said yesterday, as they renewed an appeal for more information about another suspect.
The democracy pioneer and climate activist was seriously hurt after a bomb attack in the capital Male last Thursday, that also injured a British national and two others, which police have blamed on “religious extremists”.
“We can confirm a third individual has been arrested in connection with the 6 May attack,” police said in a statement.
No further details about the man were released.
Police also appealed for more information about another man seen in the area where a motorcycle that the bomb had been rigged to was parked.
The owner of the motorcycle, as well as another man, were arrested on Saturday.
The bomb detonated as Nasheed walked to his car.
Family members tweeted the 53-year-old ex-president, now the parliament’s speaker, remained in the intensive care unit.
But he was able to speak to close relatives on Saturday after no longer needing life support, they added.
Nasheed underwent 16 hours of surgery to remove shrapnel from his body. –