The Herald (South Africa)
Bay official resigns after 18 months on suspension
AFTER about 18 months on paid suspension, Nelson Mandela Bay senior finance official Nadia Gerwel has resigned.
This was confirmed by the metro’s budget and treasury portfolio head, councillor Retief Odendaal, yesterday.
Odendaal said Gerwel’s resignation came after failed bids to get the city to pay her a settlement.
She was among a host of city officials implicated in the forensic report compiled by former National Prosecuting Authority boss Vusi Pikoli as having cost the metro millions of rands on projects related to the controversial Integrated Public Transport System (IPTS).
She was suspended on charges of misconduct after Pikoli recommended she face disciplinary action for signing off R600 000 to an event organiser without an invoice.
Odendaal said Gerwel resigned with immediate effect on Tuesday.
“Disciplinary processes were under way and she had been on suspension for a year-and-a-half.” Her resignation was accepted. However, Gerwel is not off the hook as she is still tied to a court case that was instituted by the metro, also related to IPTS funds, as well as the case involving former Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium operators Access Management.
Chief of staff in mayor Athol Trollip’s office Kristoff Adelbert said: “Gerwel is a defendant in our civil case against Access Facilities Management, which we will continue to pursue without fear or favour.
“Gerwel had previously requested a number of alternative settlements, which we rejected outright.
“The municipality was set on pursuing disciplinary proceedings.”
Odendaal said: “As a responsible institution we have to investigate every case, we cannot just enter into settlement agreements.”
City manager Johann Mettler said Gerwel had given no reasons for her decision.
Attempts to reach Gerwel for comment were unsuccessful.