Queenstown Girls’ High turns 147
Prestigious school marks milestone and special history with weekend full of activities and fun events
From the humble start of two young girls being admitted to the previously boys-only school to where Queenstown Girls’ High School is today, has been a journey with many ups and downs.
“We are grateful to all those who have helped shape the road that now lies behind us. We are proud of our successes and acknowledge that sometimes we have failed but we have persevered.
“We have built up a tradition and an ethos at Girls’ High School of which we can be just proud,” reads a message from the school.
The two girls were admitted on August 21875 –a date now celebrated as the
Today, Queenstown Girls’ High pupils still benefit from ‘the very best education possible’
anniversary of the founding of Queenstown Girls’ High School.
In 1898, the girls and boys were separated.
Miss Agnes Burt was appointed headmistress of the new girls’ school.
She gave the school its motto – Veritas et Virtus.
Zealous and strict, she won the admiration and affection of her girls.
She even made a name for herself as a skilful centre striker (when hockey was introduced in 1900).
Her staff regarded her with awe as she appeared very stern.