#Justice For Kole petition circulated
Two suspects out on bail
It is almost two months since 31-year-old Duane McCaskill died after being brutally assaulted in Aloe Vale.
A petition with more than 250 signatures so far is being circulated to help his family seek justice.
Two people arrested in connection with his death have been released on bail.
Having to see the accused in court for the first time was extremely difficult for the family.
Family members said McCaskill was brutally attacked and rushed to hospital during the early hours of July 25.
He died from his injuries later that day.
“We believe there is no justification for murder. We do not condone violence. No person has a right to kill another.
“We pray the justice system will not fail us and that justice will prevail, because if not, what message will it send to our community that it is okay to go against the law with no consequences to follow.”
Speaking to The Rep, McCaskill’s sister in-law, Shelly McCaskill, said the suspects’ release on bail had angered the family, especially Duane’s fiancé, who now had to take care of their two children without him.
“She has to raise both children, a seven- and a twoyear-old, alone because they took away their father. My mother-in-law is still dealing with losing her husband a few months ago and now this happened. This has literally left her broken.
“She is not herself. This is such a huge setback.
“We want both the accused to be behind bars. We were told that people were watching as this happened. He was beaten unconscious and they kept on beating him while he was lying on the ground.
“We just want justice.” Duane’s mother, Gloria McCaskill, said the sound of her son’s laughter would continue to linger in their memories.
“He was a lovable and caring person. He helped everybody and everyone loved him. All the grandchildren were very fond of him and they still ask me to call him so he can come play with them,” she said.
A social media campaign under the hashtag Justice for Kole has since been trending on Facebook and other social networks.
The accused were set to appear again at the Komani magistrate’s court on October 20 and a community march in support of the family is planned for the same day.