Pupils victims of sex abuse at school for second time
A SOWETO primary school still reeling from the trauma of having 87 of its pupils sexually assaulted has been plunged into another crisis of a sexual nature.
This follows reposts that a police forensic investigator – working with the children to put their perpetrator behind bars – allegedly became the perpetrator himself by ordering two girls to undress and then proceeded to use his fingers to have sex with them.
The girls were among the group who was allegedly sexually assaulted by the school’s security guard last year.
Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi revealed yesterday that the investigator allegedly molested the two Grade 3 pupils, aged seven and eight, at the school on Monday.
The man had gone to the school to prepare for the case against the security guard who was arrested late last year.
His trial was due to get under way in the Protea Magistrate’s Court soon.
The principal and the entire senior management of the school were dismissed after it emerged that they apparently knew that the guard was sexually abusing the children, but had kept quiet about it.
The latest case was reported to the Gauteng education department and police yesterday. Lesufi said the matter was later escalated to the police’s Family and Child Services, whose members arrived at the school to interview the two learners and their parents.
The girls were also taken for medical examinations. A case was then opened against the investigator at Orlando police station. Lesufi said the latest incident was shocking and disturbing.
“A person entrusted with protecting children has violated their trust and that of their parents. This man should meet the full might of the law.”
Lesufi said it was cause for grief that the pair have become victims for the second time.
“We are dismayed, saddened and disappointed that the two learners were also victims in the case currently before the court,” said Lesufi.
“The children have now become victims of sexual assault twice by different people.
“It is regrettable that this occurred to the same learners who were also victims of the school patroller, and in the hands of someone entrusted to ensure their safety,” he added.
Education spokesperson Steve Mabona said the policeman allegedly told his victims not to mention the matter to their parents.
“Probably because the girls had a sense that what happened is wrong, they then told their parents.
“The parents said no (this is wrong). They came to us yesterday to ask about what procedure to follow,” Mabona said.
“We said ‘no, no let’s go straight to the police’. We then escalated the matter to the leader of the family services.
“This is a double blow. These children are victims of the patroller, now they are victims of this one.”
The spokesperson at the Orlando police station could not be reached for comment late yesterday.
Mabona said they were expecting an arrest today.
“Remember, the case was reported in the afternoon,” he pointed out.
Police forensic investigator allegedly molested the two girls