Twins’ mother los­ing hope in get­ting jus­tice

The Star Late Edition - - NEWS - NOKUTHULA ZWANE AND SIBONGILE MASHABA @smashaba @Zwane_2li2ls

A MPUMALANGA woman who is con­vinced that her twins are still alive said she has lost hope in try­ing to get jus­tice.

Hold­ing back her tears, Nom­pumelelo Sibiya, said she had sought le­gal ad­vice on the mat­ter and found two lawyers.

How­ever, they were both play­ing tricks on her, she said.

“The first one said he had done in­ves­ti­ga­tions and when he ap­proached the hospi­tal, they told him that he should tell me that they would give me money and I should not go to the me­dia,” she said.

He said he found an­other lawyer and paid him R3 000.

“He said he had man­aged to do an in­ves­ti­ga­tion and found my clinic and hospi­tal files. He said when he went to the hospi­tal, he was told they would give me money for fu­neral costs. I then asked him which fu­neral be­cause there is noth­ing I buried but he could not re­spond,” she said.

She said she called the lawyer in De­cem­ber last year but he told her to wait for an­other hospi­tal file.

“I have lost faith in these lawyers. Every time I call him he says he is busy and he post­pones our meet­ings all the time,” she said.

Sibiya said she got no as­sis­tance when she de­liv­ered her twins at Mamelodi Hospi­tal af­ter nurses left her alone while she was in labour in 2016. This was af­ter they had ver­bally abused her, she said.

The 28-year-old woman said nurses later ar­rived but re­fused to put her pre­ma­ture twins in the in­cu­ba­tor. She said the twins were breath­ing when the nurses took them but was in­formed some time later that they were dead.

She was never given an op­por­tu­nity to see the bod­ies and was later in­formed they would be burnt.

To this day, she be­lieves that her chil­dren are still alive and has been try­ing to get help.

A source close to Sibiya’s sec­ond lawyer said they had in­ter­acted with her but the prob­lem was lack of of­fi­cial doc­u­men­ta­tion that would en­able them re­solve the case.

He said when she went to them, she only wanted the re­mains of her twins.

“I re­call en­quir­ing with the hospi­tal to pro­vide a death cer­tifi­cate and doc­u­men­ta­tion of the cause of death,” said the source.

While Sibiya claims to have paid R3 000, the source said he had no rec­ol­lec­tion of that.

The source also con­firmed the at­tor­neys strug­gled to get in­for­ma­tion and doc­u­men­ta­tion from the hospi­tal to ver­ify the death of the chil­dren, claim­ing that the mat­ter was tricky.

He said they could not de­ter­mine whether Sibiya had a mis­car­riage or that the hospi­tal should be sued for med­i­cal neg­li­gence.

“What we were still try­ing to find out is what re­ally hap­pened, whether it was a mis­car­riage and if it was a mis­car­riage what hap­pened to the foe­tus,” said the source.

Teddy Bear Foun­da­tion Clin­i­cal Di­rec­tor Sha­heda Omar said it would be im­por­tant for Sibiya to re­ceive pro­fes­sional as­sis­tance fol­low­ing her or­deal. “The shock­ing ex­pe­ri­ence sur­round­ing the news is dev­as­tat­ing for any mother to be in­formed that her ba­bies have passed on.”

Omar added that it was sur­pris­ing Sibiya did not re­ceive rel­e­vant sup­port fol­low­ing the fact and of­fered the Teddy Bear foun­da­tion ther­apy ser­vices to both Sibiya and her fam­ily.

DEV­AS­TATED: Nom­pumelelo Sibiya

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.