The Star Early Edition

Amakhosi sneak past Chippa

Chiefs book their spot in the Telkom semi-fi­nals with a for­tu­nate 1-0 vic­tory


Kaizer Chiefs de­feated Chippa United 1-0 in a Telkom Knock­out quar­ter-fi­nal clash at the Nel­son Man­dela Bay Sta­dium yesterday.

Chiefs join Bloem­fontein Celtic, Polok­wane City and Bid­vest Wits in the semi-fi­nals of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Chippa had only them­selves to blame as they squan­dered two invit­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties early on.

In a su­perb start, in which they had Chiefs on the stretch, they should re­ally have scored twice, but Mpho Mve­lase’s ef­fort was saved by goal­keeper Itume­leng Khune and Andile Mbenyane shot wide when he had the goal at his mercy.

If there’s one thing about play­ing against a team like Chiefs, then it’s that the op­po­si­tion has to make the most of their chances.

The Chilli Boys failed to do so and they paid the price when the Soweto side took the lead in the 31st minute.

There was some con­tro­versy to it, though, as there was a great deal of doubt with the penalty awarded for a foul on Joseph Molan­goane. Nev­er­the­less, the de­ci­sion stood – and Chiefs striker Bernard Parker stepped up to con­vert the spot-kick.

The game con­tin­ued to crack away at a good pace as both teams played their part in an en­ter­tain­ing spec­ta­cle.

The sec­ond half kicked off with an op­por­tu­nity go­ing the way of emerg­ing Chiefs mid­fielder Wise­man Meyiwa, but the young­ster’s shot was blocked by the United de­fence.

The Port El­iz­a­beth side con­tin­ued to try their best to get back on level terms, but found the go­ing tough – and, when they did man­age to breach the de­fence, Bafana Bafana No 1 Khune was there to clean things up.

Chiefs vet­eran Siphiwe Tsha­bal­ala, re­cently re­called to the Bafana Bafana squad, was mak­ing things hap­pen in mid­field.

He laid on a clever ball for Hen­drick Ek­stein, but the player hoofed his at­tempt high and wide. United, too, were still threat­en­ing and, on one such oc­ca­sion, Kurt Len­tjies failed to hit the tar­get.

In the clos­ing stages, United’s Paseka Mako had a great chance to equalise, but drilled his at­tempt wide.

Dur­ing in­jury-time, Khune was stretchere­d off in­jured and, with Chiefs hav­ing made three sub­sti­tu­tions al­ready, they fin­ished a man short, with de­fender Daniel Car­doso tak­ing the gloves to cover in goal.

The draw for the semi-fi­nals was done af­ter the game and Chiefs will face league cham­pi­ons Wits, while Polok­wane City will take on Bloem­fontein Celtic. The clashes will take place on Novem­ber 18 and 19. HEADS WE WIN: Daniel Car­doso of Kaizer Chiefs heads the ball away dur­ing their 2017 Telkom Knock­out quar­ter-fi­nal against Chippa United at Nel­son Man­dela Sta­dium yesterday. Chiefs won 1-0 through a con­tro­ver­sial first half penalty.

 ??  ??
 ??  ??
 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa