FORMULA E HAS ROME BUZZING
FOUR Formula E all-electric single-seater racers quietly buzzed around Rome last week to launch the E-Prix that will be hosted in Italy’s capital on April 14.
Leading the pack was reigning champion and Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler driver Lucas di Grassi, touring the city alongside former champions Sebastien Buemi (Renault e.dams) and Nelson Piquet Jr. (Panasonic Jaguar Racing).
They were joined by newly-signed Italian NIO Formula E driver Luca Filippi.
With the course being announced during the event, the Circuto Cittadino dell’EUR will be the second longest track in the calendar at 2,84 km in length.
Formula E founder and CEO Alejandro Agag said with a total of 21 turns, the circuit will challenge the drivers.
For Italian fans, every race in the Championship will be free-to-air on Mediaset’s Italia 1 and Italia 2 channels, as the new Italian broadcaster of Formula E.
Greeting the drivers in the square alongside Agag, Rome’s Mayor Virginia Raggi said the E-Prix will have a “positive economic impact”, bringing “investments and benefits to the city with its legacy programme, such as new streets and electric charging stations”.