CHRISTMAS MINCE PIES
For the pastry: 500 g flour
2,5 ml salt
350 ml butter
120 ml ice cold water
For the filling:
1 jar fruit mince
1 apple — peeled, cored and grated 15 ml brandy or sherry
• Place the flour and salt in a bowl, rub in the butter with your fingers (or blitz in a food processor).
• Add a little cold water at a time until the dough comes together.
• Stop adding water once a nice soft dough has formed without stickiness.
• Place in a plastic bag and leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
• Prepare your filling by mixing all the ingredients together.
• Roll out the pastry to about a
3 mm thickness and cut out circles that fit well in the tin.
• Fill each pie with about a teaspoon of mince and then cut a top for each pie, a slightly smaller circle or a star.
• Glue each top on with a little water.
• Poke or cut a small hole in the middle of each pie to allow the steam to escape.
• Brush the top with a little bit of beaten egg and bake for about 15 minutes at 180°C until crisp and golden brown.
• Makes 24 pies.