MASSIVE CROWD ‘THWARTED PLANS TO BOO RAMAPHOSA’
THE massive crowd at the ANC manifesto launch in Durban on Saturday, made it difficult for party supporters who wanted to boo President Cyril Ramaphosa to carry out their plan.
Ramaphosa supporters in the eThekwini and Moses Mabhida regions told The Witness that they were aware of plans to boo Ramaphosa. “Leading up to the manifesto launch we had been receiving regular briefings on the plans of those who were plotting to embarrass the president. However, when they arrived at Moses Mabhida Stadium they realised that they could not implement their plans as there were too many people at the venue.
“They were a small group and even if they had attempted to boo no one would have paid any attention — the singing and excitement of the crowd would easily have drowned the boos,” a senior ANC leader in the eThekwini region said.
Members of the ANC national executive committee (NEC) had travelled to various parts of KZN prior to the manifesto launch in a bid to defuse anti-Ramaphosa sentiments.
However, a senior ANC leader in the province said while the NEC’s KZN roadshows did silence Ramaphosa opponents, they did not discourage those who were planning to embarrass him at the manifesto launch.
“In the end, what you find is a situation where people will be declaring their support for Ramaphosa while at the same time participating in clandestine activities designed to hurt him,” he said.
The ANC manifesto launch took place at a time when former president Jacob Zuma’s supporters, particularly in the Moses Mabhida Region, are intensifying their fightback campaign.
The Zuma supporters, who want a regional conference to be held before the upcoming general elections, have lodged an application at the Pietermaritzburg high court to have the party’s interim regional leadership dissolved. • [email protected]ness.co.za