Food – Spring tea party
Any excuse to relax and connect with friends over a cuppa and home-made sweet treats is always a winner
BLACK FOREST CUPCAKE Makes 12 cupcakes
1 box chocolate cake mixture eggs, oil, milk per box instructions 200 g fresh cherries, pitted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brandy
3T lime juice
1tsp lemon rind, grated
1 cup heavy cream
200 g white chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line muffin tray with muffin cases. Prepare according to instructions on box. Bake in oven. Remove and leave to cool.
2. In a saucepan, add cherries, sugar, lime juice, rind and brandy. Bring to simmer and stir throughout. Add a little water if it starts to evaporate, cook until cherries are soft. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Bring cream to boil, pour into the chocolate pieces and whisk to mix over a double boiler. Leave to cool, then whisk using an electric beater until the mixture is creamy and fluffy.
4. Make a hole in the centre of cupcake, pour the cherry mixture and close. Place ganache into piping bag with star nozzle and swirl over the cupcakes. Garnish with fresh cherries.
12 meringue nests, store-bought 1 cup fresh cream
4T castor sugar strawberries and blueberries
1. Whip cream and castor sugar together. Pipe into the meringue nests and garnish with fresh berries.