De Lille ‘get­ting advice and sup­port from Zille’

Says pre­mier is ap­palled at way party is treat­ing her Fam­ily of Dusi champ mur­dered

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - NOR­MAN CLOETE AND AFRICAN NEWS AGENCY ANELISA KUBHEKA

OUSTED Cape Town mayor Pa­tri­cia de Lille has been get­ting advice and moral sup­port from Western Cape Pre­mier He­len Zille as she fights to keep her party mem­ber­ship and may­oral chain.

De Lille re­vealed this yes­ter­day as she turned to the courts for in­terim re­lief af­ter the DA kicked her out ear­lier this week.

“We have been speak­ing. To use He­len’s own words, she is ap­palled at how I have been treated. She said to me that the party can­not have dis­ci­plinary pro­cesses and at the same time bring a mo­tion of no con­fi­dence against me,” said De Lille.

Zille is not in the coun­try and could not be reached for com­ment.

The Cape High Court yes­ter­day re­served judg­ment on an ap­pli­ca­tion by De Lille for an in­terim or­der to get her job back, but in­ter­dicted the Elec­toral Com­mis­sion of South Africa from fill­ing her va­cancy on the city coun­cil.

This was af­ter De Lille took on the DA and others in an ef­fort to re­turn to her post un­til a fi­nal de­ter­mi­na­tion was made by the same court on whether her dis­missal from the party and her sub­se­quent ax­ing as mayor was un­law­ful or not.

De Lille was re­moved from of­fice on Tues­day fol­low­ing a long-stand­ing bat­tle with the party’s lead­er­ship and af­ter a frac­tious re­la­tion­ship be­tween her and key mem­bers of the DA cau­cus in the City of Cape Town.

Yes­ter­day’s court pro­ceed­ings dealt with “Part A” of De Lille’s ap­pli­ca­tion to re­turn to her post for two weeks un­til “Part B” of her ap­pli­ca­tion is dealt with.

Dur­ing Part B, to be ar­gued on May 25, De Lille is chal­leng­ing the con­sti­tu­tional va­lid­ity of the clause used to re­move her from of­fice.

Yes­ter­day, De Lille’s ad­vo­cate, Dali Mpofu, in­sisted that she was still a DA mem­ber, Cape Town mayor and a coun­cil­lor be­cause the DA’s ces­sa­tion of her mem­ber­ship was un­law­ful.

Sean Rosen­berg, coun­sel for the DA, con­tested this as­ser­tion, say­ing all proper pro­cesses had been fol­lowed in good faith when the de­ci­sion was taken to axe her.

He said an in­terim in­ter­dict was “in­ap­pro­pri­ate”.

“She doesn’t seek to main­tain the sta­tus quo, she seeks to re­verse or rewind the sta­tus quo,” said Rosen­berg. “Un­til such time as Part B of the (ap­pli­ca­tion) for re­lief is dealt with, the fact of the mat­ter is the ap­pli­cant is not a mem­ber of the DA, she is not a coun­cil­lor and she is not the mayor.”Mpofu said the res­i­dents of Cape Town were in “limbo” as there was no func­tion­ing may­oral com­mit­tee.

Mayco dis­solved on Tues­day af­ter DA Fed­eral Ex­ec­u­tive chair­per­son James Selfe sent an email to the IEC in­form­ing it that De Lille was no longer a mem­ber of the party.

The drama stemmed from a ra­dio in­ter­view De Lille had with Pri­me­dia talk show host Euse­bius McKaiser in which she al­legedly said she would re­sign from the DA once her name was cleared af­ter sev­eral al­le­ga­tions of wrong­do­ing were made against her. This, ac­cord­ing to the DA, con­sti­tutes prima fa­cie ev­i­dence that De Lille in­tends to re­sign from the party.

Ac­cord­ing to Mpofu, the DA’s “in­ter­nal ma­chine” then set off an “un­law­ful process” which re­sulted in De Lille be­ing ousted from the party, the coun­cil and the may­oral chair. THIS year’s Non-Stop Dusi Ca­noe Marathon cham­pion, S’bonelo Kh­wela, is in mourn­ing fol­low­ing the mur­der of two of his cousins at his Shongweni, KwaZulu-Natal home on Thurs­day night.

Kh­wela has ap­pealed to the public for in­for­ma­tion that could lead to the ar­rest of two sus­pects.

Kh­wela said last night his 65-year-old grand­mother had been home with the two boys, Nkosingiphile Vi­lakazi, 15, a Grade 10 pupil at Mar­got Fonteyn High School and Mx­olisi Mz­imela,18, a Grade 11 pupil at Thokozam­n­ganga High School, when the in­ci­dent hap­pened.

“They were too young and I don’t be­lieve they could have done any­thing to any­one for them to be killed in such a bru­tal man­ner,” said Kh­wela.

“As a fam­ily, we’re still very puz­zled by this and we have our ears to the ground. We’re also ask­ing the com­mu­nity to help with in­for­ma­tion be­cause we want to know why this hap­pened.”

Kh­wela’s un­cle, Sandile Kh­wela, re­ceived a call from his mother shortly af­ter the in­ci­dent and said he had never imag­ined he would lose loved ones in such a way.

“My mother told me that she had been with the two boys in the fam­ily’s main home and at around 8.15 the two left for their room which is not in the main house. About five min­utes af­ter the boys left, my mom heard gun­shots ring­ing.”

He said when his mother rushed out to in­ves­ti­gate, she found the boys ly­ing on the floor. Both were dead, one with six gun­shot wounds while the other had seven.

The two are ex­pected to be buried next week.

Po­lice spokesper­son Cap­tain Nqo­bile Gwala has urged those with any in­for­ma­tion to con­tact the lo­cal po­lice or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.

She said the two teenagers who died on the scene had sus­tained in­juries to the head and body.

Gwala said the mo­tive for the killing was not known and Kwan­dengezi po­lice were in­ves­ti­gat­ing two counts of mur­der.

R18.70 incl vat

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.