Qunu city project a costly flop – DA

Weekend Argus (Saturday Edition) - - NATION -

THE vi­sion for Nel­son Man­dela’s vil­lage, Qunu in the Eastern Cape, to be de­vel­oped into a state-of-theart city has flopped, five years af­ter the ini­ti­a­tion of a project by the pro­vin­cial de­part­ment of hu­man set­tle­ments, ac­cord­ing to the DA, which claims the project has cost tax­pay­ers mil­lions of rand, with noth­ing to show for it.

DA MPL Sanele Maqaqa said the project was ini­ti­ated in 2012 by then Hu­man Set­tle­ments MEC He­len Sauls-Au­gust. He said the aim was to cre­ate “an in­ter­na­tional spe­cial pur­pose city”.

“Qunu City was go­ing to be the first modern city built by the rul­ing ANC gov­ern­ment to hon­our Man­dela’s legacy and in­crease eco­nomic ac­tiv­ity in the area.

“The plans were to see graz­ing land turned into a buzzing city with ho­tels, banks, tourism ac­com­mo­da­tion fa­cil­i­ties, an in­ter­na­tional lead­er­ship col­lege and con­fer­enc­ing fa­cil­i­ties.”

He said five years later, tens of mil­lions of rand had been spent on con­sul­tants, and the project had been scrapped as it “be­came ev­i­dent there was no hope of it reach­ing fruition”. Dur­ing a par­lia­men­tary com­mit­tee meet­ing on hu­man set­tle­ments in the pro­vin­cial leg­is­la­ture this week, it was re­vealed that R46 mil­lion had been al­lo­cated to the project since 2013, he said. |

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.