Gran­dad mur­dered for TV and cell­phone

70-year-old tried to pro­tect wife, home Sobukwe fu­neral ends in con­fu­sion

Weekend Argus (Sunday Edition) - - FRONT PAGE - TANYA PETERSEN JOHN­NIE ISAAC

A 70-year-old pen­sioner was mur­dered when he tried to pro­tect his wife dur­ing a rob­bery at their Sur­rey Es­tate home.

The bur­glars fled with a TV and a cell­phone af­ter as­sault­ing and ty­ing up the cou­ple with ca­ble ties.

Po­lice said Peter Go­liath died af­ter he put up a fight in a valiant at­tempt to pro­tect his wife El­iz­a­beth, 67, and home.

Af­ter the cul­prits fled. El­iz­a­beth re­gained con­scious­ness, man­aged to un­tie her­self and hob­bled to the neigh­bours to find help.

A neigh­bour, who asked not be named as she feared for her safety, said she heard a door open­ing at about 4am and got up to check through her win­dow. “I looked out and saw her com­ing out of her house… She told me they were just robbed. I asked her if Peter was okay and she said he wasn’t well.”

The neigh­bour con­tacted the neigh­bour­hood watch and they called the po­lice and the paramedics.

The neigh­bour said she was in shock as this was the first time some­thing like this had hap­pened in their area.

Yes­ter­day, fam­ily and friends mourned the bru­tal killing of Go­liath.

It is be­lieved the cou­ple woke up in the early hours yes­ter­day morn­ing to the sound of bur­glars en­ter­ing their home through the front win­dow in their lounge.

The cou­ple’s daugh­ter Lizelle Sec­onds said she re­ceived a call just af­ter 4am and was told to come to her par­ents’ home as some­thing had hap­pened. She said her dad had re­cently been in hos­pi­tal be­cause he was epilep­tic so she thought it might have some­thing to do with his ill­ness.

In­stead, she was shocked to hear that he had been mur­dered and her mother had been at­tacked. “They as­saulted my mom… tied them up with ca­ble ties.”

She said her dad had been found dead on the floor next to the bed in their bed­room.

“It looked like there was a strug­gle. My mom is in a lot pain and they are send­ing her for X-rays.”

As tears welled up in her eyes, she said her fa­ther was a good man, a real char­ac­ter.

“He al­ways had a lot of ‘sê-goed­jies’. He also had a very dry sense of hu­mour.”

The cou­ple have five grand­daugh­ters. Sec­onds said her fa­ther loved all his grand chil­dren and “they loved their pa”.

“He was a very lov­ing grand­fa­ther.”

She said she could not be­lieve that peo­ple would take a life for a TV and a cell­phone.

“Is that the value of life? I want to know why two old peo­ple? Why hurt them and kill him?”

Po­lice spokesper­son FC van Wyk said it ap­pears Go­liath put up a fight to pro­tect his wife and his home, but ul­ti­mately died due to his in­juries, be­fore he could re­ceive med­i­cal treat­ment. El­iz­a­beth was be­ing treated at a nearby hos­pi­tal.

“The sus­pects fled the scene tak­ing a flat screen tele­vi­sion and a cel­lu­lar phone. A case of house rob­bery with the in­tent to com­mit a crime and mur­der was opened for in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Yasien Re­gal, chair­per­son of the Sur­rey Es­tate Neigh­bour­hood Watch, said such bur­glar­ies were not a com­mon oc­cur­rence as was the case in other ar­eas where gangs used crow­bars to en­ter prop­er­ties. THE PAC blames the gov­ern­ment for the chaos at Zon­deni Veron­ica Sobukwe’s fu­neral.

The fu­neral, held in Graaf­fReinet yes­ter­day, de­gen­er­ated into chaos af­ter PAC mem­bers re­fused to par­tic­i­pate in the gov­er­ment’s of­fi­cial state fu­neral.

This led to the state with­draw­ing of­fi­cial sta­tus for the cer­e­mony.

The prob­lem be­gan when Sobukwe’s cof­fin ar­rived at Graaff Reinet Botan­i­cal Gar­dens, where the state fu­neral had been sched­uled to take place. PAC mem­bers, in­clud­ing vet­er­ans of its for­mer armed wing, the Aza­nian Peo­ple’s Lib­er­a­tion Army (Apla), joined the po­lice pa­rade and sang the party’s lib­er­a­tion songs along with the po­lice band.

They forced their way inside the venue and de­manded to display the PAC flag along­side the state’s.

Gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials in­clud­ing Deputy Pres­i­dent David Mabuza, De­fence and Mil­i­tary Vet­er­ans Min­is­ter No­siviwo Mapisa-Nqakula, Min­is­ter of Sports Thu­las Nx­esi and other of­fi­cials from the na­tional gov­ern­ment and East­ern Cape pro­vin­cial gov­ern­ment aban­doned the event and handed it over to the PAC.

Gov­ern­ment spokes­woman Phumla Wil­liams said the dis­rup­tions led to the gov­ern­ment with­draw­ing out of re­spect for Sobukwe.

She said: “It is sad that we had to with­draw as the gov­ern­ment. Mama Sobukwe was granted cat­e­gory two of the state fu­neral, which meant that the peo­ple of South Africa are say­ing to this gal­lant, ‘thank you very much, we ap­pre­ci­ate your ac­tivism’. How­ever, be­cause of the dis­rup­tions the gov­ern­ment had to pull back and cut short the pro­gramme.”

She said it had not been safe for the Deputy Pres­i­dent David Mabuza to de­liver the eu­logy as per the pro­gramme.

Deputy na­tional po­lice com­mis­sioner Lieu­tenant-Gen­eral Le­beoana Ja­cob Tsumane said the use of the na­tional flag and the party’s flag had placed the fu­neral in a non-state cat­e­gory.

Tsumane said: “When the pres­i­dent an­nounces that there’s go­ing to be a spe­cial fu­neral we need to put things to­gether ac­cord­ing to the pro­ce­dure. Part of the pro­ce­dure is that the flag is draped around the cof­fin. We have to re­spect that for the sake of the coun­try and the con­sti­tu­tion.

“We have to pro­tect the pu­rity of the na­tional flag.”

PAC leader Luthando Mbinda said the chaos had been bound to hap­pen be­cause the party had been ex­cluded from the of­fi­cial pro­gramme.

“You can­not talk about Mama Sobukwe with­out talk­ing about the PAC and you can­not talk about the Sobukwe fam­ily and leave out the PAC.

“The in­ten­tion to hon­our Mama Sobukwe was good but the fail­ure was to try and ex­clude PAC from the pro­ceed­ings. She was never given any recog­ni­tion when she was still alive. She was treated in the state hos­pi­tal which some­times ran out of med­i­ca­tion for her. We can­not have a sit­u­a­tion where our free­dom fight­ers are treated like this by the so-called demo­cratic gov­ern­ment and be given a very nice fu­neral af­ter she has been ig­nored for a very long time,” Mbinda said.

An­other PAC fac­tion leader, Nar­ius Moloto, got a hos­tile re­cep­tion when he was man­han­dled by for­mer Apla mem­bers at the church ser­vice which took place at the Graaff Reinet Methodist church in the morn­ing.

Moloto left the fu­neral venue at the same time that gov­ern­ment of­fi­cials. He called those who had dis­rupted the pro­ceed­ings “po­lit­i­cal hooli­gans, not dis­ci­plined mem­bers of the PAC”.

Mbinda, on the other hand, said what hap­pened to Moloto was a les­son that the PAC was not about in­di­vid­u­als. “Moloto has been re­fer­ring to ev­ery PAC mem­ber as a ‘for­mer mem­ber’; to him he is the only PAC. What­ever hap­pened to him to­day, the an­ces­tors of the or­gan­i­sa­tion were telling him some­thing,” said Mbinda.

Lizelle Sec­onds

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.