SA ‘will not bid for Cup’
South Africa has an appetite to host the 2019 Caf Cup of Nations, but will not be drawn into a bidding process.
Minister of sport Tokozile Xasa confirmed on Friday that the government is keen on hosting the tournament but is waiting for the SA Football Association to give it information.
Cameroon was stripped of the rights to host the tournament last week, and Xasa was clear that the Confederation of African Football must make an offer to the SA government to host the competition, because a bid would come with costs.
“I was very clear to them [Safa] that if they [Caf] want us to host‚ it must be an offer,” Xasa said on Friday.
“It must be very clear that South Africa is not offering to bid for this tournament. We do have the stadium infrastructure and hotels that are ready.”
Caf said on Friday that it is requesting applications by midnight on December 14 from member associations interested in hosting the tournament.