Case against Field’s Hill driver de­ferred

Weekend Witness - - News -

THE case against a Swazi na­tional whose lorry ploughed through four minibus taxis killing 24 people was post­poned in the Pine­town Mag­is­trate’s Court yes­ter­day.

Sanele Good­ness May’s case was post­poned to April 2 to al­low his lawyer Lin­dokuhle Mdlet­she to make rep­re­sen­ta­tions to the deputy di­rec­tor of pub­lic pros­e­cu­tions as well as to al­low the prose­cu­tion to serve the in­dict­ment.

It was not re­vealed in court what these rep­re­sen­ta­tions were.

It had been ex­pected that May would ap­ply for bail, but Mdlet­she told the court that new facts were be­ing in­ves­ti­gated and the de­fence was not yet ready to bring a fresh ap­pli­ca­tion. At May’s last ap­pear­ance in Fe­bru­ary, Mdlet­she said he had been in­formed that mur­der charges against his client would be dropped and re­placed with 24 cul­pa­ble homi­cide charges.

Mag­is­trate Gwen­dolyn Robin­son de­nied May bail last year, rul­ing he was a flight risk.

— Sapa.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.