Fire lea ves hundreds homeless
HUNDREDS of people ha ve been left homeless after a fire rampaged through the Kennedy Road set tlement in Dur ban y esterday.
Residents tried t o gr ab as much as they c ould when the fir e broke out in the set tlement at Clar e E state.
“The cause of the fire is uncertain at the moment but it is most likely a paraffin stove or a faulty electrical wire,” said EMS spokesperson Robert McKenzie.
The Durban fire department, Emergency Medical Servic es, Metro polic e and S A Police Servic e were on sc ene. Around 100 dwellings were reportedly destroyed.
The fir e dep artment e ventually put out the fir e, w hich w as fuelled b y a strong wind. “… Many of the occupants are at w ork and will be c oming home to the tr agedy,” said M cKenzie. No deaths w ere r eported. “The p aramedics ha ve tr eated t wo patients, one a lady in her forties, who was treated for burns, while a man was treated for an electrical shock,” he said.
Shackdweller r epresentative or ganisation, Abahlali baseMjondolo Shackdwellers, said they were aware of the situation.
“We will be in t alks with the w ard councillor on how to help the families,” said the gr oup’s Zandile N sibande.