Vetkoek & mince
4 cups flour 2 teaspoons instant dried yeast 2 teaspoons brown sugar 1 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons sunflower oil 2 cups warm water oil for frying (you’ll need about a bottle) Method:
1. Sift the flour and mix in the yeast, sugar and salt. Stir in the oil, then the water bit by bit until it comes together in a ball of dough.
2. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about five minutes (Use a mixer to knead the dough if you have one). Place in a clean, oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave to double in size (about 1 hour).
3. Pour sunflower oil into a medium-sized pot so that the oil is 3-5cm deep. Heat over medium high heat.
4. Place dough on floured surface, pat into a rectangular shape and cut into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Fry a few balls at a time until golden brown. The vetkoek should turn itself but turn them manually if they don’t turn.
5. Serve with mild curry mince or meatballs.
Make tiny vetkoek your and frikkadels for toddler as an ideal finger food.