LONG EAR MERINGUES
1. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting.
2. Place baking paper on a baking tray.
3. Beat four egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 200g of castor sugar bit by bit while you continue beating. Flavour with 5ml vanilla extract. Beat until shiny and thick.
4. Spoon the mixture into a bag with a spout of about 1.5cm.
5. Squirt a circle of about 5cm across onto the baking tray. With a wet finger, flatten the tip. Then squirt an oval right next to the circle to form the body.
6. Let the shapes dry out in the oven for at least six hours.
7. Decorate with little edible pink balls for eyes and nose.
8. Stick paper ears on.
Recipe makes ±24 meringues