HELP FIGHT CAN­CER

Your Baby & Toddler - - CONTENTS -

Can­cer causes more deaths in South Africa than HIV/Aids, TB and malaria com­bined. You can help suf­fer­ers by buy­ing the Sun­flower Funds Tube of Hope. The money gen­er­ated by the sales goes to­wards the re­cruit­ment of blood stem cell donors to give the hope of cure to pa­tients di­ag­nosed with life-threat­en­ing blood dis­eases like leukaemia who are in need of a life-sav­ing stem cell trans­plant. A pa­tient in need of a trans­plant needs a ge­netic match­ing donor. There is only a 25% chance that a sib­ling will be a match. The re­main­ing 75% chance de­pends on find­ing an un­re­lated match­ing donor. The best chance of find­ing this match is some­one from the same eth­nic back­ground as the pa­tient. So, SA needs an eth­ni­cally di­verse reg­istry of com­mit­ted donors. Buy your Tube of Hope at Pick n Pay na­tion­wide for R30. They come in six colours. And do reg­is­ter as a donor too – see de­tails at sun­flow­er­fund.org.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.