Mother de­mands an­swers

Zululand Observer - Weekender - - ZO NEWS - Thando Ndlovu

AN Em­pan­geni mother is fu­ri­ous about what she claims to be the poor treat­ment her preg­nant daugh­ter re­ceived at the Queen Nandi Re­gional Hos­pi­tal this week, and is de­mand­ing an­swers.

Phakamile Cele says she is de­ter­mined to take the mat­ter higher up to the Depart­ment of Health for in­ves­ti­ga­tion if the hos­pi­tal fails to pro­vide her with a sat­is­fac­tory ex­pla­na­tion of why her daugh­ter, Khanyi was left suf­fer­ing for two days be­fore giv­ing birth to her first child.

The hos­pi­tal is deny­ing any un­pro­fes­sional con­duct.

Ac­cord­ing to Phakamile, her daugh­ter was ad­mit­ted to the hos­pi­tal on Mon­day morn­ing when she started bleed­ing, but was given the as­sur­ance that all was well and the fam­ily need not be con­cerned.

‘But on Tues­day morn­ing Khanyi called my son, com­plain­ing of se­ri­ous pains. We rushed to the hos­pi­tal to check up on her and it ap­peared as if she was al­ready in labour.

‘Although nurs­ing staff again gave us the as­sur­ance that all was un­der con­trol, I was con­cerned as it seemed they never even both­ered ex­am­in­ing her be­fore the de­liv­ery.

‘We re­turned late in the af­ter­noon and found Khanyi still wait­ing.

‘We were then told by a doc­tor that a Cae­sarean op­er­a­tion would be per­formed that evening af­ter an op­er­a­tion on an­other pa­tient was com­pleted.

Phakamile said the doc­tor she spoke to, in­stead of be­ing com­pas­sion­ate and tak­ing time to ad­dress her con­cerns about her daugh­ter and baby’s well­be­ing, was dis­mis­sive and ar­ro­gant.

‘With the change in shift, the night shift doc­tor in­formed her the Cae­sarean op­er­a­tion would be done by 8pm. We waited for an­other two hours with­out any progress.

‘We then phoned the hos­pi­tal CEO di­rectly to re­port the mat­ter, and she later told us that she ad­dressed the mat­ter with her staff.

‘Even­tu­ally Phakamile gave nat­u­ral birth only at 4am on Wed­nes­day.’

‘Our con­cern now is that soon af­ter the baby was de­clared in good health, he was sud­denly moved to ICU af­ter de­vel­op­ing breath­ing prob­lems,’ Phakamile said.

‘The prob­lem I have is that none of the doc­tors or nurs­ing staff kept us in­formed and ac­tu­ally avoided con­tact with us, rais­ing sus­pi­cion that the de­lay in help­ing Khanyi to de­liver her baby may be the cause for the baby’s con­di­tion. He is still in ICU.

‘Our or­deal was re­ally han­dled in a very un­pro­fes­sional man­ner and I’m de­ter­mined to take this to the Depart­ment of Health to es­tab­lish if there was any neg­li­gence.’

Queen Nandi Re­gional Hos­pi­tal CEO Nqobile Mkhwanazi con­firmed that one of the doc­tors de­cided to keep this new­born in hos­pi­tal un­til the end of the day (Wed­nes­day) as a pre­cau­tion­ary mea­sure, but that every­thing was un­der con­trol.’

I was con­cerned as it seemed they never even both­ered ex­am­in­ing her be­fore the de­liv­ery.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.