Melmoth torture victims on the mend
THE victims of a brutal attack during a home invasion in Melmoth last week, have been discharged from hospital.
In its Monday edition, the ZO reported on the excessive violence used on Maria Fernandes (63), popularly known as Candy and owner of the Melmoth Pop Inn Café, and her brother Avelino Da Costa (65) on Thursday night, during which their assailants tortured them at their home.
Maria’s son, Johnny Fernandes (41), said apart from some minor complications, his mother and uncle were doing relatively fine.
‘They were discharged from hospital on Tuesday but I am taking my uncle back to hospital because there are some complications and we want him to have a general check-up just to make sure that he is fine.
‘Both of them still don’t recall anything of the attack.’
It was reported that the siblings had both suffered from post-traumatic amnesia and have no recollection of what happened to them.
‘The way I see it, it’s like her brain is trying to restart, she remembers all of us and certain things but it’s like her brain is trying to catch up.
‘All the medical experts we spoke to said it could take up to months for her to remember certain things.
‘If you speak to her, she remembers everything up until last week Thursday.’
Fernandes said while it is not up to him, he doesn’t want his mother back in Melmoth.
‘This is quite a hard thing on our family, I want to personally get her out of Melmoth but that’s up to her, I mean she was the victim of three armed robberies last year.
‘We will discuss this as a family going forward; if she does go back I don’t want her in the store or working with money.
‘As a son I don’t ever want to see her like that again, because if this happens again I don’t think she will be that lucky,’ he said.
Pictures of Fernandes’ and Da Costa’s bruised and battered faces were sent to the ZO following the attack.
The images provided a mere glimpse into the kind of pain and torture the siblings suffered at the hands of their assailants.