Car fire causes evacuation
Residents of the first floor of an apartment block had to be evacuated from their homes on Wednesday morning, following a car fire beneath their apartment block. A neighbour noticed smoked billowing from beneath Edificio Sabater 17 in Calpe at 07.54 and called the emergency services. The cause was found to be a car fire, which was producing a large amount of smoke and fumes. Police tried to put it out using their on-board fire extinguishers, but could only keep it at bay while they waited for further help. Firefighters from Benissa and Benidorm then arrived and dealt with the incident. As a precaution, the police asked 40 first floor residents to move to a safe place outside while firefighters from Benissa and Benidorm dealt with the incident. In case of further evacuations, a lifting crane was brought in, but this was not necessary as the rapid intervention of the emergency services prevented the fire from spreading. Firefighters spent the morning ventilating the garage, and because of the smoke lingering in the air, residents were temporarily unable to return to their homes or retrieve their vehicles until the area was declared safe.