21 injured in Alzira nursing home fire
A RESIDENT at an Alzira nursing home has been transferred to the burns unit in La Fe after her mattress caught fire at around 03.10 on Wednesday morning.
Emergency services believe the blaze was caused by a mechanical fault with the oxygen tanks the vic- tim, 67, uses.
Nurses at the home, owned by the firm Solimar, were the first on the scene with fire extinguishers and hoses.
Police and paramedics evacuated the 118 residents, of whom 16 were taken to Gandia, Xàtiva and Alzira hospitals.
By 09.00 on Wednesday, only two residents remained in hos- pital – the younger woman at La Fe in Valencia, and a lady aged 86 who is still at the La Costera district centre in Xàtiva.
Five police officers were also treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
Solimar sources say the safety systems in place at the nursing home, on the main Av- inguda Mediterrània, were ‘in perfect working order’, and ‘prevented an even greater tragedy’.
Smoke alarms went off immediately and fire doors automatically clicked into action, sealing off several wings of the building and opening bedroom doors in affected areas to speed up evacuation.