Queen, the Symphonic Rhapsody
● It is said of Symphonic Rhapsody of Queen that the show has been seen by over one million people. Some 120 minutes of “intense spectacular” are promised by what certainly isn't a Queen tribute act - it is a show, and one that features artists from different countries.
There is, for example, Thomas Vikström, a Swedish vocalist who has worked with hard rock bands since the late 1980s. The son of an opera singer, he was for a time the lead singer with a Swedish band, Candlemass, who pretty much invented epic doom metal replete with operatic style.
Nick Workman is the singer with British band Vega, who formed in 2009 and released their debut album the following year. Somewhat of a contrast to Candlemass, he has said that they aren't necessarily an AOR (adult-oriented rock) band but has likened their sound to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard.
Queen songs galore and with a whole new and powerful stage design and light show.
➔ Saturday, May 6//8pm//Palma Auditorium, Paseo Marítimo 18//Palma//40-45 euros//auditoriumpalma.com
FRIDAY, MAY 7
- 8.30pm: Josele Santiago (rock guitarist) with David Krahe. Alaro Theatre, C. Sant
Vicenç Ferrer 33. 25 euros.
- From 5pm: Circaire, Festival of Street Circus. Various locations; most performances free. circaire.com.
- 8pm: GPS Big Band. Arta Theatre, C. Ciutat 1.
Fira des Jai - 8.30pm: Traditional opening address, Buger pipers. Fundació ACA, C. Antoni Caimari.
- 9pm: Dropkick, Attic Lights (Scottish country and power pop). Lloseta Theatre, C. Pou Nou. 20 euros. teatrelloseta.com.
- 9pm: Sons de Nit 2023; Andrea Motis (trumpet), Marco Mezquida (piano) - jazz. Sant Bonaventura Cloister, C. Fra Joan Garau 2. 30 euros. fonart.com.
- From 1pm: BePalma; gastronomy and local products, DJ sessions. Parc de la Mar.
- 7.30pm: SimfoVents Palma, Capella Mallorquina choir, Maia Planas (soprano), Joan Lainez and Pablo López (tenors). Palma Conservatory, C. Alfons el Magnànim 64. Free.
- 8pm: Palma Folk; When the Robin Sings (Irish, Mediterranean, American mix). Teatre Mar i Terra, C. Sant Magí 89. 12 euros. palmacultura.cat.
- 8.30pm: Spring Choral Festival; various choirs. Monestir de Santa Maria de la Real, Camí de la Real. Free.
- 8.30pm: Pollensa Wine Fair; Lluis Capdevila (piano). Sant Domingo Cloister, C. Guillem Cifre de Colonya. Free.
- 11am-8pm: Farmers’ Market; Zero kilometre products, live music, children’s activities and more. Puerto Portals Boulevard. puertoportals.com.
Fira i Festes de la Creu (Fair and fiestas of the Cross) - 6pm: Jewel races; 7pm: Children’s entertainment; 10pm: Party with Orquestra