Oman agrees to invest 30% in Mirijjawila Oil Refinery Project
The Omani government has given its consent to invest 30% in the proposed US$ 3.85 billion (Rs. 687 billion) mirijjawila Oil Refinery Project (MORP) in Hambantota to a high powered ministerial delegation from Sri Lanka led by Development Strategies and International Trade Minister Malik Samarawickreme.
The ministerial delegation that also included Highways Minister Kabir Hashim and Industry and Commerce Minister Rishad Bathiudeen toured Oman last week and returned home on Tuesday after a successful discussion with the top management of the state owned Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company’s (ORPIC), Minister Samarawickreme said yesterday.
“We had a successful discussion with the authorities of the ORPIC.THEY agreed to invest 30% in the MORP while the Silver Park International Private Ltd. in Singapore pumping the remaining 70% of the total cost of
US$ 3.85 billion,” Minister Samarawickreme told the Daily Mirror.
Minister Samarawickreme added that a joint task force or a joint commission representing Oman and Sri Lankan officials and experts will be appointed to finalize the investment and construction of the MORP under the supervision of the Board of Investments (BOI) of Sri Lanka.