No ne­ces­sity to lock­down Colombo as of now

• In­ter-district travel will not be banned • Health Min­is­ter says strict health guide­lines will re­sume

Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka) - - FRONT PAGE - BY JAMILA HUSAIN

Colombo district will not come un­der a lock­down af­ter a 39-year-old ap­parel fac­tory worker and her 16-year-old daughter tested pos­i­tive for COVID -19 yes­ter­day lead­ing to an in­def­i­nite cur­few be­ing im­posed in Minuwangod­a and Divulapiti­ya Po­lice di­vi­sions.

Gov­ern­ment sources said the Health Min­istry and au­thor­i­ties were closely mon­i­tor­ing the sit­u­a­tion but did not see the ne­ces­sity to lock­down Colombo or any other ar­eas as yet.a cur­few will also not be im­posed in Colombo.

In­ter-district travel will also not be banned but the sit­u­a­tion was be­ing closely mon­i­tored.

How­ever, Health Min­is­ter Pavithra Wan­niarachchi said yes­ter­day that strict health guide­lines would be re-im­posed across the coun­try in­clud­ing Colombo to pre­vent a pos­si­ble spread of the virus while the po­lice warned that any­one de­fy­ing these guide­lines will be ar­rested. Wan­niarachchi fur­ther ad­vised against any pub­lic gath­er­ings un­til fur­ther no­tice.

The Pres­i­den­tial Task Force on COVID - 19 will meet to­day once again to re­view the sit­u­a­tion and will im­pose new reg­u­la­tions if the ne­ces­sity arises.

By last night, pub­lic health in­spec­tors said, over 400 peo­ple were al­ready un­der self quar­an­tine from Minuwangod­a and Divulapiti­ya ar­eas while the army said con­tact trac­ing was on­go­ing to de­tect fur­ther as­so­ciates of the two pa­tients.

The 39-year-old gar­ment worker was em­ployed at the Brandix Minuwangod­a plant and Brandix in a state­ment ear­lier yes­ter­day said, all nec­es­sary mea­sures to en­sure com­plete con­tain­ment of the virus had been im­ple­mented with im­me­di­ate ef­fect, in­clud­ing the rig­or­ous dis­in­fec­tion of the af­fected work site.

40 other work­ers of the fa­cil­ity who had come into con­tact with the pa­tient had also been quar­an­tined along with their fam­i­lies and will un­dergo PCR test­ing for fur­ther mea­sures.

Army Com­man­der, Lt. Gen­eral Shaven­dra Silva said in­ves­ti­ga­tions were on­go­ing to find out how the pa­tient con­tracted the virus and all mea­sures were be­ing taken to track down all her as­so­ciates.

Silva said the pa­tient had suf­fered from a fever on Sept.28 af­ter which she vis­ited a dis­pen­sary but since the symp­toms per­sisted, she had sought treat­ment at the Gam­paha Hos­pi­tal af­ter be­ing ad­mit­ted on Sept. 30.

Upon un­der­go­ing a PCR test,she had tested pos­i­tive for COVID - 19.

Di­rec­tor Gen­eral of Health Ser­vices, Dr. S. Srid­ha­ran said any­one suf­fer­ing from a fever in the Gam­paha district were urged to visit their near­est hos­pi­tal to con­duct a PCR test.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Sri Lanka

© PressReader. All rights reserved.