Sunday Times (Sri Lanka)

Huge cooking oil fraud by three companies

- By Chirs Kamalendra­n

An alleged one-billion-rupee fraud involving false declaratio­ns by three major palm oil importing companies has been detected by the Customs, a senior official said yesterday.

The three importers had been declaring their consignmen­ts as ‘unrefined oil’ though they had been importing ‘refined oil’, thereby depriving the Government of Rs 30 a kilogram in taxes, the official said. This year, they had imported more than 28 million kilograms so far.

A full report on the fraud has been compiled by the Customs Preventive section Assistant Superinten­dent Sanath Fernando and handed over to Customs Director General Jagath Wijeweera.

According to the report, the three main cooking oil importers have been importing consignmen­ts from Malaysia and India for the past several years and have allegedly been declaring the stock as unrefined cooking oil.

Detections had earlier been made about the false declaratio­ns, but no action taken, the official said.

The latest detection was made last week at a warehouse in Colombo.

The false declaratio­n has had a major impact on the genuine importers forcing them to reduce their imports as they could not compete with the companies under-declaring their consignmen­ts.

The Sunday Times learns that the Customs Director General has called a meeting of officials to discuss further action against the importers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Sri Lanka